How to Make Butter Coffee
What is butter coffee?
Butter coffee is a rich combination of coffee, MCT oil or coconut oil and grass-fed butter, or any other quality butter. When mixed together, they work to maintain energy levels that can be sustained for many hours. The good news is that they do not lead to the distinctive coffee crash experienced when you drink other types of coffee.
This coffee drink is typically high in fat but low in carbs and is otherwise known as a ketogenic drink. It contains calories between 150 to 300kJ per serving. This depends on the amount of fat added to the coffee drink. It is beneficial to health because it does not contain sugar or carbs.
If you are on intermittent fasting, this drink will be of great help to you. This is because your fast can be extended for about 10 hours more without raising the sugar level of your blood. Butter coffee increases cognitive function, balances hormone and mood levels, reduces hunger and burns fat leading to weight loss.
It is important to use high-quality ingredients when brewing butter coffee. The good news is that this coffee is so easy to make. We are going to show you how to make butter coffee from your home.
If you prefer learning by video, this article is also explained here.
Video: How to Brew Butter Coffee
This video will show you how to brew butter coffee from the comfort of your home.
How to Make Butter Coffee – 5 Easy Steps
Ingredients For Making Butter Coffee
- 1 cup of freshly brewed coffee
- 2 tbsp grass-fed butter (unsalted)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or MCT oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 tbsp whipping cream (optional)
- 1 tbsp Maple syrup (optional)
- High-speed or Immersion blender
How To Make Butter Coffee
- Brew your favorite coffee. The best coffee for this recipe is any pour-over coffee like AeroPress coffee. They make a concentrated and rich flavored coffee.
- Pour your brewed coffee into your blender. Then add 2 tablespoons of unsalted grass-fed butter
- Add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil or MCT oil to the ingredients in the blender.
- Now turn on your blender and blend all ingredients together for about 30 seconds or until they are properly mixed to give a frothy cap on the top of the drink.
- Pour into a coffee mug and enjoy.
Tips For Making Butter Coffee
If you can’t drink a sugar-free coffee, you can add 1 tablespoon of maple syrup, whipping cream, or vanilla extract to add extra flavor and taste to your coffee. Blend these extra ingredients together with the other main ingredients. You can spice up your coffee by adding cocoa powder (unsweetened), this will give you a butter mocha.
When blending your ingredients, make sure you shake your blender sideways, upwards, and downwards. This will completely emulsify all the fatty ingredients into your coffee. This also aerates the coffee mixture and add more froth.
Be careful when you are blending these ingredients to prevent it from leaking out from the blender. As a precaution, do not overfill your blender. You can also cover the top of the blender with a towel just in case the liquid mixture leaks out while you are blending.
Common Brewing Mistakes When Making Butter Coffee
There are some common mistakes to avoid when brewing your butter coffee. They are:
Adding Excess Coconut Oil
Will excess coconut oil ruin my butter coffee?
Excess coconut oil will ruin your butter coffee and make it taste awful. and there is more, the excess coconut oil in butter coffee will result in stomach upset. This is particularly evident in people whose body is not used to taking-in too much coconut oil.
To avoid this, make sure you only add a little quantity of coconut oil to your coffee. You can begin with one or two tablespoons and then adjust it as you get accustomed to it.
Using Low-Grade Butter
Will low-grade butter ruin my butter coffee?
Low-grade butter will ruin the taste of your butter coffee. It will give the coffee a harsh taste. adding low-grade butter to your coffee will make it taste as though the coffee was sour.
What Is Low-Grade Butter?
Low-grade butter refers to grade B butter. It is butter made from sour milk. The lowest grade of butter available for consumption in the United States.
It is very important that you use quality unsalted grass-fed butter for your butter coffee drink. An example is the Kerrygold butter.
You can use ghee butter which contains a lesser amount of lactose.
Blend Not Shake
How does shaking butter coffee ruin it?
Shaking the blended butter coffee will cause the water-soluble fat to differentiate from the coffee and float to the top of your cup.
An important step in brewing butter coffee is the blending process. This lasts for about 30 seconds. Blending emulsifies fats with your coffee which is water-based. It prevents fats from differentiating on top of the coffee drink.
Do not attempt to shake the ingredients rather than blending, you will ruin your coffee drink.
Health Benefits of Main Ingredients
What Are The Health Benefits Of Coffee
The health benefits of coffee include the following:
- Coffee is packed with caffeine, antioxidants, vitamins, essential oils, and flavors.
- Coffee reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, Alzheimer’s disease, and depression.
- The caffeine content in coffee stimulates the nervous system and keeps you alert and active.
What is the best way to brew coffee beans for making butter coffee?
The best way to brew the coffee for making your butter coffee is the pour-over coffee brewing methods like AeroPress, or FrenchPress. They should be brewed prior to making this recipe to keep the coffee fresh and tasty. Blended with the other ingredients, it makes butter coffee taste great.
Unsalted Grass-Fed Butter
What is Unsalted Grass-Fed Butter?
This refers to a high-quality brand of butter that when blended with other ingredients gives a creamy, super delicious, and flavored cup of coffee. This ingredient does the magic in this coffee recipe.
What are the health benefits of grass-fed coffee?
Grass-fed butter has the following health benefits:
- Rich in conjugated linoleic acid
- Has a high amount of omega-3 fatty acids
- Contains vitamin A, D, E, and K.
- Easy to digest
- Helps in weight loss.
- When combined with coffee, help to fight a caffeine crash.
This unsalted butter contains healthy fat that digest caffeine slowly and so you won’t have a caffeine crash. Caffeine crash is normally experienced in the afternoon after drinking coffee with sugar and cream.
- Also, check out these articles from our previous posts :
- How to Store Coffee Beans
- How to Make AeroPress Coffee
- How to Make Americano Coffee
- How to Make Good Coffee at Home
- Why Does My Coffee Taste Bitter
- How to Make Iced Coffee – Step By Step Method
Medium Chain Triglyceride (MCT) Oil
Is medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) oil healthy for me?
Medium Chain Triglyceride oil (an organic oil) is healthy for individuals of all ages. It is gotten from coconut oil. Medium Chain Triglyceride oil is very easy for the body to metabolize. Instead of been broken down and stored in the body like other fats, MCTs are transported to the liver and are converted to ketones. They improve body fullness and enhance your gut environment.
What are ketones?
Ketones are a basic source of energy for the body (the muscles and brain). They speed up the rate of metabolism in the body. They help in fat loss (weight loss).
Will medium-chain triglyceride oil change the taste of butter coffee?
Medium-chain triglyceride oil (MCT oil) will not change the taste of your butter coffee. You can not taste MCT oil even though they are gotten from coconut. It blends into your cup of coffee without altering its flavor. leaving you with the rich natural taste of butter and coffee.
What is maple syrup?
Maple syrup is a natural sweetener made from maple trees. Maple syrup is healthier than sugar which is a refined artificial sweetener. Maple syrup decreases the glycemic index, and as a result, has a minimal negative effect on the body’s blood sugar levels.
What are the health benefits of maple syrup?
The following are the health benefits of maple syrup:
- Good source of essential vitamins like manganese, calcium, zinc, and potassium.
- Contains more than 24 antioxidants that reduce inflammation and help to protect the cells in the body.
- Increases body disease-fighting abilities.
- Easy to digest by the body.
For those that cannot drink plain buttered coffee, you can add maple syrup. It is healthier than using any artificial sweetener in your cup of coffee.
What Are the Importance of Adding Butter and Coconut Oil to Coffee?
The benefits of adding butter and coconut oil to coffee include:
- The fat content provides satiety and reduces hunger pangs and cravings.
- The fat and caffeine got from butter coffee boost energy needed for the day.
- You can make decaf coffee. Add butter and coconut oil to decaf coffee. It may not give you the same effect, but it will still give you a filling and delicious tasting coffee drink.
Too much oil causes stomach upsets in some people. In this case, you can reduce the quantity of fat (butter and coconut oil) you add to your coffee drink
You can order MCT oil online or from any grocery store and use it in place of coconut oil.
Butter coffee contains coffee, unsalted butter, and coconut oil. It is easy to make and quite delicious. It’s a healthier alternative than giving up your cup of joe altogether.
Butter coffee is also beneficial if you are on a ketogenic diet plan already. However, there are several other ways to stay healthy and kick off your day if you are not on a keto diet. Make sure you get the required amount of nutrients like protein, veggies, and fruits from other good food sources.
We hope you found this article helpful, feel free to drop your comments in the comment section below.